Saturday, February 2, 2008

Montreal

Well February starts a reserve month for me and I HATE reserve. At midnight they called me with a 5am sign in... not real happy, but I did manage a 24 hour layover in Montreal. It was snowing like crazy as some sort of front was moving into Quebec province.

We arrived in the afternoon and went to this place called Dunn's. (www.dunnsfamous.com) It is famous for its smoked meat. I had a corned beef sandwhich and some onion rings that were better than any I have tasted save for Huey's in Memphis. Our waiter was this French Canadian dude named Mark who had just quit smoking. Glenna, one of my co-workers is a french speaker and flies Montreal all the time and she said he was real cranky last week (that's explains the quitting smoking). He spilled my gin and tonic because he said I was left handed and that threw him off (whatever that means).



After dinner we walked back to the hotel past the basilica, but the picture I took was too dark otherwise I would post it here. It was so cold. Steph, my other co-worker and I went to the hotel bar and she had wine and I had a class of port (Graham's Tawney). The waitress was slow as molasses and not real nice and at the end of the evening she said "Merci ladies" so I was like, maybe I should drop trouser and let her know she was wrong (I was tipsey that this point).

I spent today walking down Ste. Catherine St. (see picture above). I ate at this place called Mike's and the waitress was kind of a snob and came over and started speaking to me in French, which I did not understand, so then she tried english, but I replied in Spanish and then she was nice to me.... go figure. I had a pizza that was shaped like a star and some cholocate ice cream, (I plan on giving chocolate up for lent, so I need to indulge now). It was snowing so hard, I fell twice on the way back to my hotel...once on my knee and once on my bum. People saw me so I was really embarrased.

The flight from Montreal to Miami was horrible. The passengers sucked the life force out of me. They are nice, but at the same time so demanding, I thought I would have a nervous breakdown.

I just have one more day of reserve, then off for two days, and then four days on before vacation starts. I can't wait!

No comments: