Monday, May 12, 2008

The Perfect End of a Long Day

I picked up a 14 hour two day trip to make a little extra money. It also got back early enough that I could still take my mama to dinner for Mother's Day. The first day involved a Fresno turn and then down to Austin for a short layover. Storms in Austin delayed us a bit and then to make matters worse, two other crews (with longer layovers I might add) kind of shanghai'd the crew van to the hotel and we had to wait an additional 20 minutes in the sweltering and humid heat of Austin for the next van (I felt like I was in Florida again).

I was in for a nice surprise when we arrived at the hotel and the front desk clerk had complimentary beers for all of us. Nothing closes out a long and stressful day like an ice cold beer, in this case, Shiner Bock.

Sunday we got off to LAX on time, but then had a little mechanical that slowed us up for our flight home. To make matters worse, the latch on the forward trash can in First Class was broken (I was not aware of this). When we rotated off at takeoff, the trash can flew out of the container. Normally not a big deal except that the liquid drain in First goes into that trash can so literally gallons and gallons of old coffee, water, soda, etc can gushing out and into the cabin.

It was all pretty much contained in the galley cart housing , but then when we started to descend, it all came gushing forward. Fifteen blankets later, I managed to keep it from rushing into the galley and cockpit. It was nasty.

Lesson learned.... double check the latches.

No comments: