Monday, December 22, 2008

Not so much fun in London

Just returned from my scheduled trip to London on Sunday night. The trip was a challenge from the beginning. We were late to depart off the gate on Friday with a mechanical and we had Captain Redneck who loved to make announcements and was almost too informative to the point the passengers were ready to throw their shoes at him. They finally fix the oil leak and we push back from the gate and are taking our turn onto the runway, when we get a call that some bags were loaded on our plane for passengers who did not board, so they had to be pulled, and thus we had to go back to the gate yet again. We waited for about 30 minutes for a gate to open up that could accommodate a plane of our size, and then when we parked, we had burned too much fuel, so we had to be refueled and given another maintenance check before heading over the pond.

We got to the hotel about two hours later than normal, about 1:30pm UK time. I took two of the girls with me to Sainsbury, a local supermarket, and then made my obligatory visit to get my friends Hunter and Terry their Remegel antacid from Boots. I finally laid my head down around 3:30pm and slept until 6pm. My friend Leatha was supposed to be working the trip as well, but she ended up getting sick, so I decided to scrap our plans for dinner and the theater.

I went down to the crew room to put in my bids and check my emails and saw my friend Jan who was laying over as well, and we visited for a while before I decided to go get some food. The pizza place near Kensington Park was closed that I go to sometimes (who closes at 9pm on a Saturday night?) so I ended up getting a chicken sandwich from Burger King (I am almost ashamed to admit it) before heading back to the hotel where I had a date with ambien.

Our flight home the next day was torturous, and it took us over 11 hours gate to gate. We had a granola family in coach that was upset their Lactose-free Vegetarian meals were not catered, and that all I had was regular Vegetarian meals. They later had their two year old running around without a diaper or bottoms on, so that should give you some insight into the quality of people they were!

Then with about 45 minutes to go, the Captain informed us he had given the wrong landing time, and we thought we still had an hour and 15 minutes, so I had to serve 191 pizzas rather hastily, but it got done with time to spare.

I did get to see the new A380 pull up to a gate in London. It made me realize I would rather eat my own foot than fly on a plane with 600 plus other people.


No comments: