Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Anniversary in Chile

Just back from two weeks of vacationing in Israel (more on that later.... the thought of blogging about that trip seems a bit daunting at the moment).  We arrived home on Wednesday afternoon (our luggage decided to make a stop in Amsterdam and hang out there for a while).  Wednesday night, after looking at my checking account balance and seeing how many "shekels" I spent in Israel, I decided to pick up a trip for Thursday to Santiago.  Normally nothing real exciting happens on these rockets to South America.  You fly all night, sleep for 10 hours at the hotel and fly home.

We were in for a pleasant surprise when we arrived.  I was the first one into the hotel restaurant, where we get a free breakfast upon arrival.  The waiter told me "Happy Anniversary with A------n Airlines!".  I was thinking, how did he know I finished up 12 years this month?  Then he informed me that July 2nd was the two year anniversary of our company staying at their hotel (I guess it was a bit pompous of me to think that he was referring to my length of service).

During breakfast, they brought us gifts and champagne and a cake!  A very nice gesture.  I have never seen a hotel go all out like that for us before.  Usually they are trying to get rid of our business, rather than keep it!




My friend Ramiro was on the trip and he now brings his harmonica with him on trips, so I have started referring to him as Mr. Bonjangles.


All was fine on the trip home until around 1:45am a guy in Business collapsed in the aisle.  Probably a combination of low blood pressure and dehydration.  He came to a few minutes later, but it made for an interesting trip home.

No comments: