Monday, August 23, 2010

Portobello Road


My second London trip I decided to visit Portobello Road.  Ladyfriend had given me a box of cards with various London walking tours.  After looking thru the various options, my friend Aida and I decided to visit Portobello Road.


My knowledge of the area, much like everyone else from my generation, stems from the Disney movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks, starring Angela Lansbury and the movie Notting Hill, starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant.


Portobello Road in actuality is a street in Kensington, a section of west London, near Notting Hill.  It's one of London's notable street markets, known for second-hand goods, vintage clothes and antiques.  Unlike most of London's streets, Portobello Road meanders and curves around.  The buildings, rather than being uniform, are colorful and distinctly different from eachother.




We passed a bunch of shops selling vintage items and handmade crafts.  I stumbled upon a few record stores, now that I have become an avid record collector, but the prices were a bit steep.  Unfortunately we were not there on a Sunday when the street is packed with stalls and vendors, but it was still a beautiful day and fun to just walk around.  We stopped at a local pub for a drink and to rest our feet.


Instead of taking the tube back to the hotel we decided to walk back via Kensington Park and around the swan pond.  You always know when it's a nice day in the UK because the parks and streets are always packed with people out to enjoy the beautiful day.


We enjoyed some pretty good Thai food at a local restaurant and then visited a little gourmet grocer for some provisions for the trip home the next day.

No comments: