Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Catching up.....

I found myself pretty busy thru most of December so now that I am sitting reserve in January, I thought I would try to catch up on my mundane existence.

Some of the highlights from December included a rather "different" looking woman we had in First Class coming home from Maui.  This was a once in a lifetime passenger for sure, and I made sure to only capture her back to preserve her anonymity.  It's not every day someone wears curlers on the airplane!  This photo was quite the hit on Facebook!


I also tried Loco Moco for the first time at the Kihei Cafe down the street from our hotel.  It's a weird breakfast item, with a beef patty, eggs, rice, and brown gravy.  It was wonderful!


Christmas Eve and Christmas Day found me in Panama City.  It's a quick trip, with a short layover, but we tried to make the best of it.  We all planned to bring food, so the day of the trip we had turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and dessert!  I went above and beyond and also put together little gift boxes for my crew (even the pilots!... what can I say, it was the holidays and I was feeling generous!).


Our take off out of Panama on Christmas Day had us flying from one end of the country to another and we got some pretty neat views of the Panama Canal as we climbed out!





January 1st marks the beginning of my reserve month.  Not a fun time, but it goes with the punches.  So far, I've only flown one trip.  I got called out for Madrid.  I had all these wonderful plans to go to the Observation Tower at the main post office on Castellana and then hit the museums, but we had a man who brought his own portable oxygen concentrator and about three hours into the flight it malfunctioned.  We had to divert to JFK because the man could not be off of oxygen for more than a few minutes without going into distress.  By the time we took off again, we were several hours behind schedule and ended up landing in Madrid around 1pm and after nap time it was going to be too late to do anything.

Surprisingly, not one of the passengers complained to me about the delay.  The majority of the passengers were students going over to study for the semester.  It made me feel a bit old because I realized that it was about 15 years ago that I was in their shoes, going to Spain to study abroad!  It's a good thing I color my hair because these "moments" that remind me of my age are probably causing more and more gray!

My friend Catherine was on the trip, so we met up around 8pm and walked down to Puerta de Sol and the Plaza Mayor trying to look for a restaurant that a couple on the plane had told me about, but we never could find it.  We did walk several miles though, which was my only source of exercise for the day.  We never could find a place that really jumped out at us for dinner, so we ended up taking the metro over to Principe Pio so we could eat at Casa Mingo, a Cider house with great Asturian cuisine.  I first ate there when I studied abroad and you can't go wrong with their food!

The only pictures I snapped were the next morning from the back door of our plane.  The airport was pretty quiet that day because Iberia pilots had gone on strike.  It was a pretty day as you can see... not a cloud in the sky!



No comments: