Sunday, July 1, 2012

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again, and again, and again!

The old adage proves true...

I have been trying for a couple of years now to see War Horse on the stage in London, and after standing in the return queue for a dozen performances with no success, I finally landed a ticket to the hottest play in the West End!

I wasn't really expecting much in the way of the layover.  It was supposed to rain and we arrived at the hotel late with all the traffic.  After a short nap, it looked like the rain may stay away, so I ventured out and made my way to the National Theatre on Drury Lane (do you know the Muffin Man?).  Lots of Union Jack flags hanging everywhere, perhaps a leftover from the Jubilee celebration?


Normally there is a return queue at least 10-15 people deep, but today I did not see one, even though the show was sold out.  I went to the box office and inquired about the shows sell out status.  The box office manager confirmed the show was sold out, but asked me to hold one minute and he made a call.  He came back and offered me a choice of the two seats that had just come open.  Both were adjacent to the sound technician's booth, but I opted for the seat with the limited view because it was only £25 versus the seat directly in front of it which was £55.  That more expensive seat ended up remaining open, so I was able to sit there for the performance.


The show was amazing.  The horses are portrayed with puppets, but they are so lifelike you forget they are puppets twenty minutes into the show.  I couldn't take pictures during the show, so I did a little browsing of the web and found a video and a picture to give you an idea of what the incredible experience was like.




So what was turning out to be a mediocre layover, ended up being fantastic.  And we were not without our crazy characters on the flight either.  I was the first class galley stew on this flight and one of our upgrade passengers decided he would be more comfortable sleeping in his boxers versus wearing the pajamas we offer or his own pants.  After he got up to go to the bathroom in just his boxers and failing to get him to put his pants back on, I made him wrap a blanket around himself.  We're a family airline after all and we try to keep it clean!

No comments: