Thursday, December 20, 2012

Spanish Homecoming

So I was able to trade onto the four day Madrid layover at the beginning of the month.  The flight only operates 5 days a week during the low season, so we get a two day layover twice a week and I was lucky enough to get on to one.

Since you have the third day free, everyone usually plans a day trip somewhere.  Last year, I went to Avila with my friends Catherine, Mark and Beth.

This time, I decided I would take the bus to Salamanca, about three hours away, to spend the day sightseeing and also pay a visit to my "Familia Española".  In 1997, I was the recipient of a Rotary scholarship and got to study in Salamanca and I lived with a local family:  María Jesus, her husband José Manuel, and their children Alexis and Sofía.

The last time I visited with them was in 2000, when my father and I vacationed in Spain, so I hadn't seen them in 12 years.

I got to the city around 10am or so and was surprised at how incredibly cold it was.  Luckily I had bundled up with warm clothes.  My first stop was the Universidad de Salamanca and the Frey Luís de Leon statue.  It was in this courtyard that I took all my spanish classes so many years ago.  The University of Salamanca is actually one of the three oldest universities in the world and was founded in 1134.


This is the facade of the university.  It's designed in the plateresque style, which means the late Gothic and early Renaissance tradition (but who doesn't know that!?).  It took me about three months, but I finally found "la rana" or the frog.  There is a frog hidden on the facade and the legend has that when you find it, you will make great scores on your exams.


Can you see it now?



The seal of the University features Ferdinand and Isabel, who were big supporters of the school.  It was the schools leadership who actually heard Columbus' proposal to sail a new route to India that led to the discovery of America.


This was my favorite restaurant in the town, Gran Shanghai.  I know it was actually a Chinese restaurant, but I still loved it.  My spanish family were friends with the owners.  They are actually refugees from Viet Nam.


The New and Old Cathedral were unfortunately under renovations.  Their construction goes back to the 12th century.



During a renovation in 1992, one of the sculptor's added his signature but carving an astronaut into the facade..... although rumors have circulated for years that it dates back to the 1500's, which is inaccurate.



One of the most notable landmarks of the city is the Plaza Mayor, possibly the most famous plaza in the entire country and represents the heart of the city.  Construction of the plaza was completed in 1755.


The Convent of San Esteban was constructed in the late 1500's and completed in 1610 and was a settlement for Dominican nuns.


When I lived here, I never really appreciated all the history and beauty of this town.  I was more excited about being 20 and being able to legally drink.  This visit gave me a whole new appreciation for the town.

The highlight was a visit to my "Spanish family".  It was so good to see them again.  I think my Castellaño was still passable because we were able to talk easy enough.  My Spanish papa, José, is now the Chief of Police, and since he was in uniform, we can't post his picture on a public site, but here is a photo of me and my Spanish mama, Maria Jesus.  


She made a great lunch and we had a lovely afternoon catching up.  I brought Texas pralines for her and she had bought Polvorones, my favorite Spanish holiday candies!  It's like heaven in a cookie!

I caught the late afternoon bus and got back to Madrid that night.  On the way home the next day, I had the most horrible couple.... there was nothing I could do to make them happy, and the more they drank the meaner they got.  And of course, as we were serving the pre-landing snack, I spilled wine all over the wife!

No comments: