Friday, July 24, 2009

4th of July in 'Lulu

A little behind in the blogging so I am playing catch up.

To help out my friend Bobby, I picked up his Honolulu trip over the 4th of July. I had previously been boycotting that destination since our layover hotel had a roach problem. We have switched to a much nicer and newer property so I thought I would give it another try.

What a nice change. Still on the main drag in Waikiki, but 100 times better. When we arrived at the hotel, I went down with my co-worker Kim to the ABC Store that is off the street level entrance to the hotel to stock up on provisions. We then joined the rest of the crew for martini's at the bar.

I showed restraint and only had one. We were going to go the noodle shop, but instead we headed down to the International Village area where Kim knew one of the guys who is a street performer. The girls were still going strong at this point, but I was starting to crash, so I bid my farewells and headed back to the hotel via Burger King since I was starving. The chicken sandwich had never tasted so good. I also won a contest and was given a coupon for a free apple pie, but I don't do fruity desserts, so I gave it to a homeless man sitting outside the restaurant (while nice and tropical, Waikiki Beach is full of homeless people who just sort of drift about).

The next morning, I got up and had a great workout and did a little walking around before taking my early afternoon nap for the red eye home. Missed the fireworks in Honolulu though as we left before the festivities got started. I did have an ocean view, as seen below, but you have to look real real REAL close to see it. :)

No comments: