Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Lenten Journey Begins!

March 9th marked the beginning of Lent.  This year I have given up Facebook, dessert, and alcoholic beverages.  My Lenten swan song was in Honolulu where I spent the Monday before on a layover.  My friend Karla was the purser and so we went to the Top of Waikiki, our usual crew hangout for a few final drinks before my 40 days of dry time.  I had the Grape Soda drink, which is grape vodka, sprite and a lime.  

Tuesday afternoon before pick up I had a beautiful view of a rainbow outside my hotel room.  I thought it was an appropriate symbol before my  period of fasting.  Kind of like the Big Guy saying, "Good Luck Ron.... you can do it!"


Ash Wednesday began with evening services.  I made my friend Bobby come along for communion and the imposition of ashes.  Ironically this picture was taken at a bar afterwards.  My first test.... I just had water with dinner!  Like me, Bobby is giving up Facebook.


I am holding my own though.  I had a London layover and went out with my friend Andrea and her buddy bidder Alane.  I made do with Fizzy Water and soda.  We did go see a great new play with Matthew Fox, of Lost and Party of Five fame, called In a Forrest Dark and Deep.  A real psychological thriller!  I also introduced them to my love affair with Yo! Sushi.  A real test came afterwards when we went to a cafe and Andrea ordered a cinnamon crepe!


The Lenten season also coincided with my good friend Bruce's arrival in town for business.  You may recall Bruce, my co-star in the "Man-cation" adventure to drink Scotch in Scotland.  Remember that aside for booze and religion, we have nothing in common beyond the fact that we grew up together.  Bruce gave up Xbox and spending money unnecessarily.  So he was still drinking and I was not.  I had to spend the four days he was here living vicariously thru him and drinking non-alcoholic beer.  I did introduce him to my friend Carol.  She has a fine collection of Scotch and she was kind enough to let him sample some 75 year old Ballantynes.  I think it was the highlight of Bruce's trip.


So I shall continue the next 40 days of my Lenten journey.  Amazing how few emails I receive now that I am off Facebook.  Amazing how many people I am now out of touch with.  I guess social media has really taken over the way we communicate.

1 comment:

Bruce McVey said...

The Ballantine's was indeed delicious!