Friday, March 4, 2011

Londontown

So as I wrote in the last post, I am trying to catch up on the blogging.  My first London trip ended up being very short.  We had a mechanical delay in Dallas that made us about 3 hours late.  We also went out short a few flight attendants because people could not make it into the airport.  By the time we got to the hotel is was about 2:30 or so in the afternoon, so I decided to forgo the nap and just do the Energy drink thing and ride the caffeine wave the rest of the day.  

I did a little shopping at the local Sainsbury, where I continue to amass a collection of their re-usable canvas totes (the latest one rolls into a little ball).  Then I headed over to St. Paul's for their nightly Evensong service.   (I seem to attend St. Paul's more than even my church at home since I work so many weekends).  Afterwards, I stumbled across a unique little sushi restaurant.... Yo Sushi (http://www.yosushi.com).

It was a perfect place for someone who is dining alone.  Everyone sits at a counter together and the food just comes around on conveyor belts.  You take what you want.  You can also order hot dishes made to order (I had the chicken gyoza).


Each little Sushi station has it's own supply of wasabi, ginger, fizzy and still water dispensers, chopsticks, etc.  At the end of the meal, the waitress adds up your plates.  Each colored plate has a different price and that equals your bill!


As I made my way back to my hotel, I came upon a Whisky shop (notice they spell it the Scottish way).  It reminded me of my friend Bruce and our man-cation trip to Scotland last fall.  I shed a wee tear that he was not with me to enjoy the sight of the liquor store!


My second trip a few days later was much smoother.  We arrived on time, and it was the earlier trip so I could actually catch a few winks before heading out.  I took the train from Victoria south to Redhill to visit my friend Wolfie*. (*Wolfie is a dachshund who belongs to my friends from college, Amanda and Aaron).  We had an enjoyable afternoon catching up.  I brought Amanda her Double Stuffed Oreo Cookies that she loves so much and can't get in the UK.  I would have brought her Girl Scout Cookies too, but they were not out at that time.

We went to a place near Gatwick Airport called Nando's, which was a kind of Afro-Portuguese restaurant.  (Loved the peri peri sauce).  Aaron drove us and I must say he did a very good job for someone driving on the wrong side of the road (with a manual transmission nonetheless).

It's always great to catch up with them!

No comments: