Monday, February 20, 2012

Narita Swan Song

In the swan song tradition of my prior entry, I just got back from what will probably be one of my last Japan trips before the impending work rule changes.  I was going out in style though as I was flying with my good friend Gail.  We have been friends since I transferred to Dallas in 2001 and she has been a mentor of sorts for me, work wise, thru the years.  She is a strong union advocate and has instilled that in me and I admire her integrity.  We had just spent the day together on the picket line for the Valentine's Day picketing.


This picture below was right before departure for Japan.  We took the honor of renaming the airplane after ourselves (but just for the picture)....


The weather in Japan was very cold but we were prepared, and I had my Iceland attire to keep me warm.  It was sunny outside, just very very cold.  The Japanese are big on their gadgets and I came close to purchasing an electric fly swatter.  Maybe next time.


Gail had never been to the Jet Lag Club, so we went there first.  I wanted her to see all the airline memorabilia on the wall.  We tagged along with a gal named Diane that Gail knew from domestic who is now JFK based.  She was with her friend Dan.  We enjoyed a few rounds of beers and the free popcorn and enjoyed a good banter about company and union politics.

Next stop was the Ramen Bayashi Noodle shop for dinner.  Luckily I had enough Yen this time, so I wan't in the Lost In Translation moment like last year with my friend Alane!


We rounded out the evening with a bottle of wine I had brought from home.  There were two earthquakes right after we arrived, but luckily this evening was earthquake free, so I slept well enough.  I got up in the middle of the night and skype called Ladyfriend and my pal Bobby and then went right back to sleep.

And we arrived home on time!

1 comment:

Longhorn skier said...

So glad you were able to eat noodles this time without BEGGING for change from random airline pilots. Jeesh, if we had only known that begging was going to be a big part of future....