Sunday, April 29, 2012

Karaoke and Cherry Blossoms

My most recent trip to Japan was pretty cool.  Finally got to fly with my friend Sandy.  We've been waiting four years for that and we were working together in first class.  On the day we arrived, the weather was pretty crummy and rainy.  Sandy and I had planned to go into town for noodles and drinks, but instead met up with some of the other crew members for a little karaoke time.  Karaoke, Japanese for "empty orchestra" originated here, and this was my first time performing karaoke in Japan.  Some of our selected performances included "Crazy" by Patsy Cline, "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel, "Get Ready" by The Temptations, "Lady Marmelade" by Christina Aquilera, and "Living La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin.  I used my camera phone to record a little of the fun!



I woke up early the next morning and was happy to see it wasn't raining so I decided to take the bus into town for a few hours walking around.  It was the end of the cherry blossom season and I wanted to catch a glimpse, since it might be a while before I get back here with all the changes coming down the pipe at work.

I made my way down Green Street towards the Narita-san temple.  



Lots of flowers were in blooms and lots of variety of colors, but I was not having much luck finding cherry blossoms.


I noticed that there were a lot of blossoms on the street.  I wonder if the heavy rains from the day before had pushed the colorful pink blossoms to the ground?




In the end, I didn't really see anything spectacular in the cherry blossom department.  I still had an enjoyable couple of hours walking around.  The pretty blossoms I saw ended up being from outside my hotel window.

No comments: