Saturday, September 1, 2007

Mexico.... more like Mexi-NO

So I was all excited because I had a carryover trip from August into September that had a two day layover in Mexico City. I have been there a lot, but never with that much time, so I was excited that I would have a complete day to do something on my own. I went online and booked a tour to Teotihuacan, the Aztec pyramids, and the Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, the most visited religious site in all of Latin America.

We were scheduled to fly to Mexico City on Thursday, then head back to base, and then back into Mexico City for the layover. We started out fine. The loads were light and we even commented on how something was bound to go wrong. Well, go wrong it did.

We arrived back to base only to encounter massive delays. The earlier flight to Mexico City had cancelled, so we went from a light booking to full full full.

We boarded our plane, with no air conditioning mind you, and no pilots. With the pilots nowhere in sight, we got a mechanic to come out to the plane and turn on the APU so at least we had some air conditioning. Me and my coach flying partner, John, served juice and water and most people were pretty cool about everything. There was a rather obnoxious lady in 7D who would repeatedly ring her call light for minutes at a time, and then yell at us that this was part of some conspiracy.

Well, in the end they found us some pilots, but they had to be wheels up (in the air) by 2336. We pushed back from the gate and were about to take off when they went illegal, so back to the gate we went. At this point we had a mini revolution on our hands. In the end the flight was cancelled, and we were sent to a local hotel to layover over and deadhead the next day.

I of course missed out on my tour and after contacting the tour company, was told they would not issue a refund or credit, so it was a total loss.

I did have some chicken fajitas for dinner last night along with Montijo, my new favorite Mexican beer. We did have some cool passengers on our last leg home today from SLC, including a little Jewish bubby named Bebe. She was a stitch and we were joking around with her. She was standing in the galley as we put the carts away and we ended up putting my apron on her and she took the trash cart out with us and picked up the garbage. She enjoyed schmoozing with the passengers and she said when she was a girl she always wanted to be a stewardess, so she got to live a little of her dream.

No comments: